Monday, October 3, 2011

Working Boots

These boots are new, but may be wearing thin (a little bit).
It’s not all it’s made out to be.
(Especially if it’s a TOTALLY new place where you don’t know everyone)

For those who thought living away from home would be the best thing that would ever happen to you…I would say think again. There are so many “comforts” of living at home. SO little to worry about, so little to think about. I moved away for a year last year, it seemed like such a big deal at first. And it was, because it was right after college. (I moved to Chennai for around 10 months to do a post grad in Journalism) Living in a hostel with friends (people your age/classmates) is TOTALLY different from living on YOUR OWN. 
Spiral staircase to
my new "home"
Now, a year later, I’m again away from home. But this time left without friends/classmates/people my age. I realise how different and sometimes difficult it is to be alone in a new place (FYI where I don’t know a single person). I started work (yes, time to get serious), my best friend called me a “real person”…whatever that’s supposed to mean. HAH! I got a small flat with a nice Mallu aunty living downstairs (and now a RAT as a roommate, hopefully only for a while – I might have some evil plan in mind hehe). Bought a fridge, microwave, stove and all that you need to “build a home” (quoting my Dad). It’s been nothing less than hard. But as far as it’s been, I think I’m doing pretty well. Yes, I do breakdown (and meltdown) and call the people (mostly this one person) I miss. 

SO with all that I thought (actually JUST NOW) I’d come up with a list. A survival kit. Less a “kit”, more about surviving. Might now work for everyone but so far it’s helped me. Here goes (this is how I survive):
  • Calling people helps (bug the hell out of that someone “HI SAM!”)
  • Internet. Mails. Messages. Chats. Anything and everything. Oh StumbleUpon <3
  • Facebook <thumbs up> is a major way to vent, helps prevent meltdowns (or sometimes you just meltdown while facebook-ing. I say it’s all cool as far as it helps)
  • Whatsapp. Chat with friends from across the globe. Such happiness. (Globe is a funny word)
  • I have one day off from work in a week. Friday. I spend it as a ‘Me Day’. I know it sounds stupid. I go out buy grocery. Eat out. Watch a movie or two. It works.
  • Skype. To see faces of your loved ones.
(I might add more to this list) 

I tried getting involved in some sort of work besides WORK. But I couldn’t manage the timings. It would work great for some people though. Volunteer with an NGO may be once a week. Meet people. See new faces. That’s one more to the list.
There is always some holiday or the other in a month. So plan a short trip. Tell your friends/family to visit you. But I should warn you, the after-effects of this is not good. Homesick-ness or a major home hangover. Yes, it’s two totally different things. Call me I’ll explain it to you. HAHA.
That’s all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment